As a pre-teen sometimes I have questions about what it really means to take care of my physical and mental health. I listen to my mom and her friends talk about “Self-care Sunday” and “Mental Health Days” and wonder if I’m too young for a day of self-care and positive mental health. Girls copy their mothers, and the best thing my mother did for me is to show me how to value and love myself.
So I started asking questions and the responses helped me to come up with these 3 tips to help teen girls:
- Self-care is for the whole family: Everyone in the family can benefit from wellness and self-care, there’s no age limit and it’s just not for Moms. Teen girls can journal, draw, or listen to their favorite music artists to enjoy self-care and a break from any school or mental stress. We also like getting our nails and hair done and enjoy a little dress up fun!
- As you mature, your self-care will too: Teen girls are most times very self-conscious about their bodies and their personal image. Take time to understand how you personally feel about your self-image and try to ignore when others express concern about your weight, looks, or compare you to other teens your age. You won’t figure it all out now, but as you get older you will learn that self-care must be selfish.
- Stand Up and Speak Up for Yourself: Society sometimes makes it hard for teens to express their true feelings forcing us to just “deal with it”. Not speaking up can cause poor self-image. Confide in your family to help you gain confidence in speaking up for yourself. Actively sharing your needs as a teenager can help you get help with understanding your mental capacities and get any support that is needed.
I also had the chance to talk to celebrity Treasure Thompson about the launch of her new mobile spa, Nu Energy Spa, for her advice on how teen girls can practice wellness. Treasure shared two important things:
- All young ladies and teenage girls should know that when it comes to women’s wellness it should ALWAYS be a priority and not an option. “Your womb is the center of your being and of life creation. Along with your mind, you are to protect it, nurture it and learn exactly what your body needs in order to refresh and recharge.”
- Rest, Rest, Rest! “Resting is essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.” Women actually do need more sleep than men, so don’t wait until you’re old and tired to rest.
I think all girls, but more specifically brown girls like me, need women and role models to show us how and why self-care is important.